Travel: Stockholm

Friday 13 February 2015


Earlier this month my Scandinavian love affair officially began; it's no secret that I recently visited Stockholm (as I've literally not stopped banging on about it), and it really is as magical as I imagined it to be, especially in the snow. It was my first time in Stockholm and it's safe to say that it won't be the last. I've never found it so hard to narrow it down to just a handful of images; so many beautiful photos, so many beautiful memories.




Myself and Danielle found the perfect place to stay. Situated in the heart of Sofo, our Air BnB was super cosy and possibly the cleanest I've ever stayed in! There were homely knick knacks dotted about for that personal touch as well as plenty of plant-life and of course, Scandinavian furniture. The little plump four-legged bath tub was just a dream, especially after long days out in the snow. It was just the perfect girly crash pad. 

Eva & Sabina were fab hosts, and although leaving a bursting folder of helpful info, they made it clear that they were there to help at any time. I can't recommend this place enough, it's right next to the tube and just a short walk into the quirky centre of Stockholm. Ideal!

(I've linked up to their Air BnB page)

During our stay, it literally didn't stop snowing and I loved it. There was such a peaceful sound to the snow and the landscape was enchanted with mystified white skies, greyed water and the outlines of traditional architecture. Although quite the Swedish norm, it was such a privilege to have experienced the city of Stockholm in a white out.



Out of all the cafes, bars and restaurants that we visited, my favourite had to be a cafe and concept store that was recommended to me on Instagram, Snickarbacken 7. Set in a tall alcoved building, the space is truly unique with a dim lit and laid back atmosphere. We had the best coffee here, and the shop was full of minimalist items for the home (actual heaven), including delicate glassware and basic stationery, of which I couldn't resist and treated myself to a new notebook for my new job (obviously).

I also splurged on vases, a candle holder, & Other Stories essentials, H&M boots and some home accessories, it was quite a job getting my case shut, but ... when in Stockholm eh?

Just by chance we came across Bergianska trädgården, a botanical garden set in what seemed like a Winter Wonderland. It was quite surreal exploring tropical plant-life in the heated Edvard Anderson Conservatory, whilst the frozen wilderness lay still outside. It was almost as if the the glass-paned roofing became a blank backdrop, illuminated by snow against the exotic greenery. At the same time, it was bizarre to see so many types of nature combine, from the outside and in. 

With a history stretching back to the 18th Century, the stunning dome shaped Victoria House sits beautifully in a plane of serene and calm. Although not open until the summer months, this glass pond house seemed peacefully acquainted in its icy surroundings. 





The Swedes seem to just get it. And Coffice is an example of how design and practicality combine. In the heart of Södermalm, Coffice literalises the cliche of 'coffee shop working' by providing facilities such as shared desk space, sockets and even a meeting room, all in a quirky space and with great coffee. The balance of work space and coffee shop is achieved perfectly, and I've never experienced a place quite like it before.


And of course, a visit to Stockholm wouldn't be complete without a call in at Acne. The ceiling of Hope also caught my eye, with whitened wires and black and white tiled walls. Vitra's Design Week after party welcomed the design elite into it's Södermalm show room, complete with a grand feature wall of classic chairs. 

[All photography by Emily Nicholson, Dursk]

So just a tip, if you ever go to Stockholm go for a week at least! We so ran out of days and I didn't spend nearly as much time as I would've liked at Design Week. We missed the furniture fair completely, but luckily we caught the Vitra and Design District after-parties. Which I'm thinking worked out for the better anyway, we got to meet interesting people, without the 'pressure of the fair', surrounded by good design, music and wine.

As I said earlier, I have soooo many photographs, and narrowing them down for a post was rather challenging! But I would be delighted to share more if anyone would like to see? I would also love to hear about anyone else's Stockholm adventures?!  Just comment below.


1 comment:

  1. Amazing photos, and great post Em! You've invoked some serious Stockholm wanderlust in me - I need to do more Nordic exploring! Seriously, get all your photos on facebook - I want to scroll through them all! xx PS Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs